Saturday, February 2, 2019

Teaming with different speed NIC's

Some background:

I installed two brand new servers at a DC. Both have 1GbE NICs and 10GbE NICs. I want to do LACP for maximum bandwidth, redundancy, and a cleaner failover. I confirmed with the operations that they support the protocol; however, one of the techs mentioned that they might not be able to handle different speed connections under one dynamic link aggregate. At the moment I have it configured for active load balancing, but I would like to move to LACP as it will provide the best performance (from what I've read). My understanding was LACP could handle different speed NIC grouping.

One server is a hypervisor (in this case the team is a slave to the bridge), and the other is a backup server dealing with a some large files from various machines.

Should I be using LACP? Can it support different speed NICs? Is there a better LAG configuration for my application?

*note: I'm studying computer engineering and have more experience with embedded systems than I do networking. Thanks for your patience!



No comments:

Post a Comment