Thursday, February 21, 2019

Résumé advice?

To keep it brief, I started out on the NOC at my current position two years. Across the two years I learned really fast and moved up twice to their Level 2 Routing/Switching team. At this point I get paid about 15k less than the lowest guy on the team. They say they're willing to give me 5k increases every year to bring me to up par, but I think it's time to move on(or use an offer to get a big raise).
 

I don't have doubts they will offer me more money if I say I'm leaving, I've fixed some really nasty issues that had everyone stumped, brought a lot of improvements to the SNMP monitoring and I'm the only guy on the team who can code well. I know automation is popular right now which is good because I've been doing a lot of work with python(netmiko) to address some gaps. This is a large enterprise company.

 

Problems: No certs(colleagues say my knowledge is CCNP at least), no post-secondary.

Anyone been in a similar situation and have advice on getting to an interview? I'm pretty confident I can impress in an interview if the interviewers are technical, it's just getting there that I'm worried about. I know it might be smart to get certs first, but that's a lot of time/cost when I'm eager to move.



No comments:

Post a Comment