Friday, February 1, 2019

Really bulk cable

I have a project that will require 10's of thousands of feet of CAT6. I can't find a source selling anything larger than a 1000' box or spool. As much of this cable will terminate in a single location, I would think it way easier to have a large spool on a spool holder than to deal with multiple boxes and all of the waste because what's left in a box is 4' too short. Am I just looking in the wrong places? Do manufacturers just not make 2K', 5K' or 10K' spools?

  • EDIT

Some clarification. The last project was wiring a new office facility, 3 cables to each drop. No single run was longer than 225' but there were enough drops that we used about 30 boxes of cable, all terminated on one end in a single location. I ended up with close to 1000' of cable across all of the leftover boxes but of course not a single piece is longer than ~50'. I envision a spool holder with 3 large spools in it that sits in a single location the whole job. The goals would be to reduce waste as well as speed up the process as you shouldn't have to stop and calculate the next run distance and see if you have enough cable to run it.



No comments:

Post a Comment