Friday, February 8, 2019

Question about ARP broadcasts and VLANs

So I am making a small lab to demonstrate voice vlans for work to show the advantage of it over running 2 cables for every workstation. I am using a Cisco 2961-S switch. My current setup is a Mitel 3300 gateway plugged into Gi1/0/1 then 2 Mitel 5330 IP phones plugged into Gi1/0/2 and Gi1/0/3. The phones then have a computer hooked into the PC port. The phone were able to connect to the Gateway and call eachother and I could see requests from one computer on the other.

My question is that when I ran wireshark on one of the PCs hooked into a phone I was able to see ARP requests from the Mitel Gateway on it even though it is on a different VLAN than the computers. I turned on stick port-security and ensured the computers were on the data vlan, but am unsure why they could see the arp request from the gateway. Port settings are below. I apologize if I missed something stupid, but still learning networking (working on ccna, so this is also a learning experience for me).

vlan 5 data
vlan 6 voice

Gi1/0/1
switchport access vlan 6
switchport mode access

Gi1/0/2 & Gi1/0/3
switchport access vlan 5
switchport mode access
switchport voice vlan 6



No comments:

Post a Comment