Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Port forwarding without static IP?

2 pieces of hardware

- PC

- 4G LTE Modem

I have several PCs across the country and I'm connected to them through a 4G LTE modem and the PCs are getting a private IP from that modem. As of now, I can access each PC remotely through port forwarding on the static address of the modem. These PCs since ever I started working for my company have always ran off of DHCP and never had static IPs. We are in a transition phase where we are switching modem providers and they can't seem to grasp how our existing modems were set up to do port forwarding our PCs since they are on DHCP and the IP may change at any point. I spoke with our existing provider and they advised that they have it set up so that when I SSH 123.123.123.213(modem's public IP) on port 122, modem searches for 192.168.1.2 listening on port 22 and if no device has that, try searching for 192.168.1.3 listening on port 22, and if that doesn't work try searching for 192.168.1.4 listening on port 22, etc. They were beating around the bush to explain how they configured their modems to run like that. Does anyone know what type of port forwarding set up I need to tell our new provider in order for me to be able to access my machines? I'm seriously trying to avoid having to set private static IPs on hundreds of PCs if I can help it



No comments:

Post a Comment