Saturday, February 23, 2019

Palo Alto vs. Fortinet + Cisco vs. Aruba

My company has sprung a "surprise, we're adding a new (smaller) corporate office!" scenario on me and I've got limited time to build out the network I'll be installing in the new office. I've spent the last 15+ years as a Cisco die-hard. Historically I'd just go out and buy another pair of ASAs and throw FTD on them, but I think I'm pretty over FTD. It's a total dumpster fire of a buggy mess I want nothing to do with anymore (or at least not until it's fixed). SO...

I've been courting Palo Alto and Fortinet on the edge. Curious about other people's assessments between the two platforms. Still working on defining the specific criteria I'll be buying on. I like "word on the street" about Palo Alto, but Fortinet (at least on paper) seems like a strong contender.

As for the access layer, I've historically rolled your usual Catalyst stacks, but even there I'm contemplating what it'd look like to move to something like Aruba. (From the discussions I've had about them) I like the idea of Arista at the core, but it may be overkill for a smaller office like this.

Thoughts? Input? Warnings? heh



No comments:

Post a Comment