Friday, February 8, 2019

Packet Loss on Wired Connection

So for the past 3 years living in on-campus apartments, I have never had any packet loss issues. In November I noticed huge packet loss issues ranging anywhere from 2-25% packet loss. On average, it hovers around 2-5%. I have asked to get this checked when the coordinator came in to check on it, he asked me to run the program I've been using to monitor the packet loss (PingPlotter) and to run some games in the game I play that is able to show real time packet loss (Fortnite).

So there I am in my apartment playing Fortnite while he watches the packet loss on the top left corner of the screen. It fluctuates from 3-7% and he says that it's normal due to network congestion. This back-and-forth I have with the IT department here about my packet loss is getting really annoying. I've lived in the same place for the past 3 years and I have never experienced packet loss at all and then all of a sudden it's considered normal.

I am on a wired connection. I was just wondering if it is really normal because when it does spike up to 10-20% I do experience low connection speeds even when trying to open up pages or when I'm trying to submit assignments. I have looked online and many people have stated that packet loss over 1% is considered bad already.

I was wondering if this is in fact normal.



No comments:

Post a Comment