Friday, February 8, 2019

One ISP Handoff - 2 WAN devices

All,

I know you are going to rip me apart for this - I haven't done a whole lot of networking in the past year or two and am extremely rusty and can't wrap my head around it with everything else at the moment.

Here is the scenario - I have a new site coming online next Friday. I typically have the Fiber directly terminated on the site firewall without any other internet facing devices.

I was just informed this morning for this new site that our phone guys need a WAN connection for an Edgemarc device. I do not want to NAT this through our firewall. I have a /29 block from the ISP on one subnet, which includes their gateway so, 5 usable IPs.

I believe I can just terminate the ISP on a switch and then our firewall and edgemarc device off of that - but I am lost on the configuration of it. Should it just be a layer 2 switch? if I put all 3 devices on one vlan - what else do I need to do(minus hardening and management)? Do I need routes on the switch?

The last time something similar came up - it was a layer 3 switch which needed multiple wan subnets, which I do not have here. and the timeline isn't going to allow a change order to the ISP.

I know this is basic math - Go easy.. or take your shots with a bit of an answer. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment