Thursday, February 14, 2019

Networking noob - Cable Question

I'm working on getting my CompTIA Network+ certification using this book: https://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Network-Certification-Guide-N10-005/dp/0071789227

The book describes CAT X as basically just an Ethernet cable. Which I understand. But then they start talking about XbaseY and how that's also a type of cable? Then they talk about using 'XbaseY running on CAT X'?

What am I missing here? Are they both types of cables? How can they be run through together? I have no idea how to look up the general topic of 'XbaseY', as the book hasn't really provided a topic name that encompasses all of them - it only brings up the dozen-or-so versions of it individually. The only small inkling of an answer that I may have come up with is that XbaseY refers to more of the 'load' that is put on the cable, while CAT X describes the cables and the loads they can take. But that is smashed to bits every time I remember that the book talks about all the different connectors that XbaseY can use.

So, I'm just crazy lost - any help would be appreciated (even if it means recommended more/different books)!



No comments:

Post a Comment