Friday, February 1, 2019

Mode conditioning fibre Cable

Hi fellow netadmins,

My question is related to the need of use of mode conditioning patch cables (MCP).

I try to use our existing MM fibres (which I assume should be OM1, 62.5/125) with SFP-10GB-LRM transceivers over quite short distances. 30m - 100m.

My first test was on a cable of around 100m and it worked fine without the mode conditioning cable despite of recommendations to use MCP on both ends.

1 huge SFP+ order later and I am finding out that I have issues establishing a link on shorter cables (30m)

From what I have researched, MCP is not neccessary on short distances as the Differential Mode Delay (DMD) does not have an effect on MMF over short distances and some people say you only need MCP on cables over 120m or so.

I do not have any MCP to test if this fixes the problem, however I have some links that work completely fine and others that go down after a second due to link-flap.

Have you come across this problem in your uplink upgrades? Any recommendations to test before I place an order for hundreds of cables?

Your advice is appreciated.



No comments:

Post a Comment