Saturday, February 16, 2019

Meraki TLS and WMI errors when connecting to AD

Let me preface by saying I am very green and in way over my head. I’ve read all the posts about not doing too much, as well as all the posts about finding a job where I can get the mentor ship I need. I’m working on those things, but I’m still trying to keep the lights on at this organization until I can get myself into a better position.

I’ve been using Cisco ASAs at my 12 existing sites, because that is what my predecessor used. As the 5505s have died I’ve replaced them with 5506s. I don’t claim to be an expert but I’ve largely got them up and running, site to site VPNs work, etc.

It was recommended to me that I reach out to a VAR because all of our equipment (servers, switches, PCs, really everything) is pretty outdated. They recommended we try meraki. I’m attempting to demo it at a site we purchased roughly 45 days ago this weekend. Not ideal, but my backup asa had to go to another site that had an asa crash on Friday. This new site is supposed to be up and running and joined to our domain by Monday. (I know. I have 3 years of troubleshooting experience and have been the only IT guy at an organization of 300 users spread across 12 sites for the entire 45 days from purchase to go-live, hence why this has become a last minute nightmare.)

Meraki support was largely excellent in helping me sort out a few initial errors and get a VPN tunnel back to my main site up. I can remote to the main DC at the admin building currently, and access network shares.

However when it came time to connect to active directory I got two errors—“ldap_start_tls: server is unavailable” and “wmi error”. At that point meraki said this was a known issue and that I’d have to reach out to Microsoft to solve the issues on my server. Obviously I can’t have this new site not joined to my domain, and now I’m diving into learning about certificate authority and wmi errors.

I’m throwing a Hail Mary to the internet, if anyone out there has any assistance I’ll be forever in your debt.



No comments:

Post a Comment