Thursday, February 7, 2019

LoRa and Xbee pro900MHz

I created a post before about wirelessly transferring messages from sensor to gateway that would be at most 2km apart from each other. The message would go through gateway to local server. I would be working with 40 endpoints (that are present in field) sending messages to the local server. Just to recap my requirements:

  1. I am currently working with 40 nodes that wake up every 1 minute. So I would like to have battery life of at least 3-5 years.

  2. I would like to have 95% accuracy from the node.

  3. A fully bi-directional messaging feature is the goal.

I did try several tests with LoRa and I started getting results that I need. however, I noticed LoRa's packet drop starts increasing over time. Since I am in no rush to push the changes, I am looking into propriety products where development efforts could be eased. I recently came across Xbee pro 900MHz (https://www.digi.com/products/embedded-systems/rf-modules/sub-1-ghz-modules/xbee-pro-900hp). Digi offers complete solution as far as I know and I like the range the product offers. Before ordering the module, I would like to know what you guys think about Xbee pro 900MHz usage compared to LoRa. Please keep in mind that power or price is not a concern to me.



No comments:

Post a Comment