Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Layer 3 Campus Design Problem

Hey, guys. I've been having an issue trying to implement FHRP with a Layer 3 interconnect between the Distribution switches and have no idea what's going wrong. VLANs do not span, so I have tried to limit L2 so that each access switch uplink is forwarding and the are no L2 loops. However, once I do that, hosts in one VLAN can still ping their default gateway, but when they try to ping another host in another VLAN all i'm getting is a timeout.

Basically my thinking was, when VLANs span you can sync HSRP active routers with STP root bridges. However, if the VLANs are restricted to a single access switch, you can make the link between the Distribution switches layer 3, and break the potential L2 loop, now the access switch essentially becoming like a hub and spoke topology with 2 forwarding upstream links to the Distribution layer, and you could then run GLBP instead of HSRP for load balancing. But it's not working and I don't know if i'm just being incredibly stupid and missing something obvious haha.

For what it's worth, I can't even establish and ospf neighbor relationship between the 2 Distribution switches when they are both configured for a 10.0.0.0/30 point to point link.

Any help would be really appreciated!

Image of the Topology: https://imgur.com/a/i2sN5xd

And graphic from Cisco which I'm trying to implement: https://imgur.com/a/I9RpgHo

Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment