Friday, February 1, 2019

Large user subnets for WLAN deployments? (Aruba)

Hey guys,

I handle the wireless for a large institution and I am working on a migration plan for a move to Aruba 8 on our main campus. I support ~8-10k users on our main SSID per day. Our guest network services 2-3k per day.

I have a controller in each of our two DCs connected via L2, clustered. Our core is L3 and the APs are tunneling L3 to the controllers. I am doing active AP load balancing as well as 50% client load balancing between the two controllers. I am still working on the design, but what I want to do is to be trunking the user VLANs to our active/active fortinet firewall setup and put the user gateways there. DHCP and DNS will be served from an external DHCP server not from the firewalls.

I wanted to get some input from you guys on how you are handling your user subnets. How big of a subnet are you using? I am confident in Aruba's solution for converting broadcast to unicast and dropping multicast on the VAP, but I am concerned about flooding from the switches and ending up with a broadcast storm that takes down the network.

Am I just asking for trouble by going with a /20 or larger? Perhaps even a /18?

What are you guys doing?

Happy read only Friday.



No comments:

Post a Comment