Saturday, February 9, 2019

IP/Name resolution issues

So I’m not the network guy, but he doesn’t research “this is broke” things to fix them, he only fixes things you’ve already researched a solution for him...

Anywho, so we are having issues that I’ve assumed were DNS but really not sure. Our Nessus scans on some devices will report a vulnerability with a different DNS Name and NetBIOS name, and sometimes different DNS names with the same IP.

We have issues remoting into devices using the host’s name and sometimes IP as well, which makes less sense to me.

It’s mostly on devices using the VPN, but not always.

So today we came across a device we couldn’t remote into by name or IP.

I pinged Name1 and got IP1. I did a ping -a IP1 and got Name2. Did a ping Name2 and got IP2. Ping - a IP2 gave Name3. Ping Name3 and got timed out responses.

Anyone know what could be causing this and what a possible fix to these issues could be?



No comments:

Post a Comment