Wednesday, February 27, 2019

I'm in a little over my head and need some help.

Good afternoon guys. I landed a sweet internship while I'm in college. First off i work for a company that has 9 buildings and 5 IT guys including myself. As soon as i started working my boss gave me a huge job that I'm kinda in over my head with.

So every switch the company owns are all pretty much out of the box default settings. Some had IPs set for management and nothing else was touched. I was tasked to figure out where every switch is and set them up. I took a few classes in college where my teacher actually taught CCNA and various other certification courses which probably helped me land this job. Myself and my boss are the only ones that know much about how to set up switches and the other three coworkers don't know much.

Question one: We have a mix of Cisco and HP/Aruba switches scattered through the company. Is there a way to figure out what is physically connected to the port? They have zero documentation and this is part of my job. Eventually they want to vlan stuff out but if I don't know what is plug in which port i cant effectively vlan anything.

Question two: is there some documentation out there on best practices on how to properly set up switches? Most of them have default settings and im making my way through them and setting things up slowly. I'm just doing the simple stuff such as setting up console passwords, disabling telnet and enabling SSH setting up other passwords. In this day and age security matters and i would like some guide lines on how to secure these things the best way possible.

If this is the wrong place to ask these questions let me know. Thanks guys for any help!



No comments:

Post a Comment