Wednesday, February 27, 2019

HPE/Comware IRF Mis-configuration (loop?)

Good day, folks.

Got a question regarding HPE/Comware & IRF configuration. I've fallen in the standard trope of being immersed in the Cisco-verse and now assisting in managing an HPE environment.

I've read through both the Configuration Reference and Command Reference guides and in doing so, believe I've discovered an issue with the IRF/stack configuration in addition to a severe bottleneck between the ESXi hosts and SAN; all installed and configured by a previous MSP.

Topology and sanitized IRF related outputs. You will see the hosts are on on a separate stack than the SAN, but interconnected and bottlenecked by a single 1Gb link between an intermediate switch and the SAN stack. Additionally, I believe the IRF configuration on the SAN switch is incorrect and causing a loop.

The configuration guide states--

"This loop elimination mechanism will drop a large number of broadcast packets on the IRF physical interfaces."

I recently stood up LibreNMS and see on 3 of 4 40G interfaces used in the SAN IRF stack are indicating high levels of discards that appears consistent with this statement.

1/0/41

1/0/42

2/0/41

2/0/42

.

I believe to correct would require the SAN stack IRF Ports as shown below and per the configuration guide

IRF-port 1 members are 1/0/41 & 1/0/42

IRF-port 2 members are 2/0/41 & 2/0/42

When you connect two neighboring IRF members, connect the physical interfaces of IRF-port 1 on one member to the physical interfaces of IRF-port 2 on the other.

.

I suppose after all of this, I'm just looking for confirmation. Am I seeing this correctly or missing some crucial bit of information?



No comments:

Post a Comment