Thursday, February 28, 2019

How to get past the Helpdesk gate keepers?

I have a problem with being randomly disconnected from my work’s network and I’m hoping someone might have some insight on the best way to approach this.

I work for company completely remotely. I’m not even in the same state as their call centers. They have VPN connection points in several different cities across the US and I’m completely dependent on connecting to one of their VPN connections for everything I do at the company. I’ve worked there for 5 years now and I’ve never had any trouble connecting or staying connected. Im using a edge router x with a Fiber connection via frontier fios. 100mbs up/down.

We use a specific proprietary software at this company for doing the job I do. Which is working with customers over the phone. Recently the software has been freezing in the middle of my contacts and dropping calls. Which makes it look like I’m hanging up on customers. As you can imagine, that looks really bad to management.

When this happens, I never lose connection to the VPN but their IT department has been running ping tests from my work computer to google, while connected to the VPN and those tests have shown dropped packets. When I disconnect from their VPN, I don’t see any dropped packets on the work computer and Ive used ping tests on other computers in my network to test the connection and haven’t found any dropped packets, even when the work computer is showing dropped packets at the same time while connected via the VPN. From what I’ve heard from the other people that work at this company, this is common behavior for the VPN. I also have more evidence that leads me to believe the VPN is the problem but I don’t want to make this post too long.

I’ve contacted their Helpdesk about this multiple times, they do the same thing every time, they point to the dropped packets while connected to the VPN, blame my network, then refer to my ISP. They refuse to troubleshoot the VPN past that. They then tell my manager that it’s my network. Which makes it look even worse and at some point my manager will have to tell me to switch ISPs and possibly even fire me, if it gets worse.

So that’s the overall situation that I’m trying to solve. I like my position there and I want to stay within good standings but the issue is both making me look bad and making it much harder to do my job.

Ive become good at switching to a different VPN connection point, when the VPN starts to lag, but that doesn’t stop the calls from dropping before switching and sometimes all the VPNs are lagging. I’m in the process of setting up a script in my router that pings their VPN and pings google, then emails the results to my email, in order to time stamp the connections. I could probably use that information to go above the Helpdesk but that’s going to burn a lot of bridges really fast and in my mind, there’s no guarantee they won’t still blame the router / ISP or say the script wasn’t approved, so the results can’t be trusted.

Im wondering if anyone else has any other ideas?



No comments:

Post a Comment