Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Help Choosing New Fiber Optic Modem

For background I am a college student in charge of my fraternity's internet system. I've turned a collection of switches into a functioning network with UNIFI APs and a UNIFI Security Gateway acting as the network's router.

I noticed however that although our internet connect is rated for 125/25, the Gateway is only receiving a 100 Full Duplex connection to the modem.

The modem, according to our ISP (Metronet), is not supplied by them, although I find no information about the modem when I try to research its model number.

I suspect the weak link in the network is the modem, which receives a fiber line from the wall.

I was wondering if anybody could suggest a new modem that could support faster 1GBPs throughput , especially if we were to upgrade our service plan.

Additionally, would this be a plug and play installation, or would I need to set up the modem? If so, what would that entail?



No comments:

Post a Comment