Friday, February 22, 2019

Having trouble understanding NAT from the client side.

This question comes from my homelab (I think this question relates to networking at large but if this fits better in another sub please let me know.).

After some searching the information I find is either too simplified of tangential to the situation I'm trying to understand. I have just taken NAT for granted. Forward a port for incoming traffic all if good. That is until now, I'm working on a project that, at least for testing, needs a web server on both ends (over wan) to catch http POSTS.

My question is, if I need to open ports any time there is a traffic inflow, how are services able to send and receive from client devices? Is it the client only receive over 80/443 and are allowed by default?

As an example I am thinking about chat platforms like discord. Is it only an issue of the client making the first request to the server to setup a tcp/udp connection or is there something I'm missing?

I studied networking but am just starting to learn programming and it is raising a lot of questions about things that were taken for granted in school.

Links for further reading would be greatly appreciated, thanks.



No comments:

Post a Comment