Thursday, February 21, 2019

From Fed to Private...making the switch

I'd love to hear people's experiences moving from the federal government to the private sector. I'm a GS-14 step 4 with 16 years of federal service (4 via military buy back). My current career path is either to move into a managerial position as a 14 or compete and promote to a GS-15 where a minimum 50% travel is the expectation. I have 2 young kids at home and a stay at home wife. I've been interviewing for a senior leadership position at a very prestigious government contractor, pay is significantly more than I would ever make as a Fed and the position requires next to no travel. It's a regular M-F 8-5 gig. They also contribute 10% to 401k.

I'm 90% certain that I will make the jump to private if provided with an offer like we have discussed but wanted to hear from others who have been in this situation.

I'm a service connected disabled vet so if I wanted to get back into the federal government I think I'd be able to. I kind of look at it like this opportunity will only be here now, the federal government will always be there.

Thoughts? Advice?



No comments:

Post a Comment