Friday, February 1, 2019

Cleaning your Optics ?

Gentlemen,

I won't try to hide it. I'm spoiled by a business that lets me pay other people to solve many problems.

I know a lot about how to build out a new environment (by paying someone to construct my vision).

But I know a good bit less than I wish I knew about maintaining a fiber plant after it's implemented.

Anyone who wants to step up and take their shot at me with a "You're that senior and you don't know how to ..." may feel free to do so. I'll stand tall and take it like a man.

But let's move to the problem I need guidance with from the great reddit collective:

We've been getting our asses kicked with dirty optical connections all of a sudden.
8 or 10 years of piece and quiet with these devices and now like 3 or 5 critical links racking up a billion CRC errors.

We've been playing whack-a-mole with just replacing the transceivers (and RMAing the old ones) and replacing the fiber too if that doesn't do the trick.

But there has to be a better way. Doesn't there?

Should we be cleaning the LC connectors with something?

Do you clean an SFP transceiver with compressed air or something?

Are these steps worth the extra trial & error?
Some of these devices are in managed facilities, and sometimes remote hands aren't as talented or knowledgeable as we might like.

Should we stick with the big hammer and just replace everything until the problem goes away?

Please hit me with your best rookie GIF or Dunce_Cap.jpg if you choose to do so, but please provide a little wisdom along with your zinger, if you please.

Thank you all in advance.

-Nerd



No comments:

Post a Comment