Sunday, February 17, 2019

Beginner help in using wireshark

I have to use wireshark for my networking class, but my professor did NOT even give us a basic tutorial on how to use this program. This class is pretty much an intro into networking for my major. He told us to install it and gave us the prompt for the assignment, that's all. I'm trying to self teach myself on how to use this program, but I've hit a roadblock. The assignment doesn't look too difficult, but I have a hard time trying to figure out where to find the information he is requesting me to look for.

I run wireshark capture and go to reddit.com and wait for a bit before stopping the capture. My questions are how do I know which packets I am sending and how do I filter it? He is also asking me to find SYN/ACK packets. I see a lot of TCP packets when I use this filter: tcp.flags.syn==1 && tcp.flags.ack==0, but I am unsure which one relates to reddit.com.



No comments:

Post a Comment