Thursday, January 17, 2019

VLAN Config on a Cisco Catalyst

I'd like to preface this by saying I'm not an IT professional - I work in industrial automation. There is a lack of automation people who know networking and vice versa. It is a common problem in the industry.

Anyways:

I have a Catalyst switch that I'll be using to isolate a laboratory network from a corporate network. Underneath this switch, I have:

  • VLAN A that can communicate through the corporate network to the internet (needs port 443 access). Our IT department is responsible for anything "upstream" of the switch at the IDF/MDF, and setting up the site firewall.

  • VLAN B for equipment that need to communicate with each other but does NOT need access to the corporate network.

Now, in the future, equipment on VLAN B and VLAN A may need to speak with one another, but I still need to isolate VLAN B from the corporate network (security purposes). Can I do this as as described or do I need additional VLANs?

The equipment does not support dual NICs.

Thanks

Edit: this is more for my own understanding so I can inform myself prior to engaging IT further.



No comments:

Post a Comment