Saturday, January 19, 2019

Title change - going from senior to non-senior

At my current employer I was brought on as a Network Engineer 3. I'd say when I started I was mid-level and have certainly gained a lot of experience. In the time I was there, the Senior Network Engineer on our team left, so I was promoted. I feel it was mostly due to me being on the team the longest in tenure more than being a "Senior" level employee, though I am by far the most technical on the team right now.

Times have changed and I am now looking for a new company to work for. I've found a company that I really would like to transition to, however the title would be back to a normal old "Network Engineer". I'm fine with this, but I've seen others see this as a backslide.

Is this change in title a bad mark on a resume? Do titles really matter in the long run? Or do titles mean different things to different companies?

edit: I have about 6 years of networking experience I can put on a resume, if that helps at all.



No comments:

Post a Comment