Thursday, January 31, 2019

Thinking of leaving my large VAR for a smaller regional one, am I crazy?

I’m a senior wireless neteng guy working for a $7B Cisco VAR.

I have been there ~2 years and am mostly happy. My biggest complaint is that I work remote 100% of the time and it’s hard to really get a feel for management etc.

They pay for my certs and conferences, and I made $133k last year. I decided to stick my head up just to see what’s out there and have had an onslaught of requests that I am considering.

Top contenders are a $10B Cisco Var in the top 10 on the CRN list. Another is a even larger one in the top 5 of the same list- both are offering ~12k more annually as a base, All would be a lateral move essentially.

Then there is this one $1B regional VAR. They had a complete mgmt change about 2 years ago and are looking to really establish senior architects and engineers into the company. They are offering $165k and my commute would be 90% the same.

The benefits are mostly the same, I’m just not sure if it’s worth it.

Pros -Practice Arch level work

-Money is $35k better

-I would be the top dude for the firm nationally (although they are mostly regional)

-Higher visibility

Cons -smaller company (if $1B is a “small firm”)

  • less Travel to cool places (I only did 50 nights last year mostly domestic, but I got back from Australia 3 weeks ago for a 7day gig)

-not as established I guess?

As a delivery guy I can always go get another delivery/SA gig at Presidio/Insight/WWT/CDW, especially in this market for security and wireless folks. Am I just being apprehensive in leaving my comfort zone?

I almost feel like I owe it to myself to try for this new gig, it’s 30% raise, more impact and seniority, same benefits....I just have this weird feeling and I don’t know how to quantify it...maybe it’s fear of leaving my bubble?

I would fear being bored but if a firm is willing to pay this much for a super senior dude to straddle WLAN/Campus LAN stuff for pre & post sales, I would hope they have a pipeline to justify it all.

I got the call today that the execs and practice want to meet me. If that goes well a long white-boarding session would be next.

What questions should I ask? What should I look for? I’ve never left an established comfy FTE for a less known, smaller firm for a 30% raise.

TIA



No comments:

Post a Comment