Saturday, January 12, 2019

Switch login and port security - Radius and Dot1x auth

I will try to explain what I am doing the best I can.

I will be setting up network security for a client and I am using one of my switches to test the setup. It is an older FWS648.

I have setup the Radius and dot1x settings and have a Windows Server 2012 r2 as the Radius server.

I have two policies setup; One to authenticate users managing the switch and one to handle the port security.

The policy to authenticate users has the Condition: User group equals "SwitchAccess"

The policy for port security has the Condition: User group equals "Users". Once a computer and user is authenticated the port automatically gets put in the correct vlan.

​

The issue I am having is I cannot get both policies to work at the same time. If I have the Switch access policy at the top of the order I can authenticate to the switch just fine. But then if I try to authenticate a computer, the radius server just states that the user is not part of the SwitchAccess group and denies access. It never checks the next policy.

​

Vice versa the same thing happens if I switch the order of the policies. The computer will authenticate and the port will move to the correct vlan but then I cannot log into the switch.

​

Any ideas? Do I need multiple radius servers configured to achieve this?

​

Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment