Saturday, January 19, 2019

Slow Internet From ISP

My ISP is a company called Manx Telecom, and I live on a smaller island so there is not much else I can do in terms of ISP. Manx Telecom is the main provider for the island and from what I've heard, own all the lines to provide people with broadband (I don't know much about it). I'm writing this because the internet they can provide us in the area is slower than 2Mbps, and is terrible. I want play online games, and I was wondering of 2Mbps is enough for doing that + Discord or any other program like it. Currently I have a 4G router they've provided us with (not free of course), but it does the job for general browsing or watching YouTube. The 4G router has speed no more than 15Mbps. The problem is, is the instability in games, or latency. I can get upwards of 400 ping in any game I play for over 5 minutes and then suddenly it'll go back down to around 30-40 ping, and we've tried different 4G routers, SIM cards etc. I know it's not the servers as I have friends also on Manx Telecom that live in a populated area who have 11-20 ping.

I was wondering if there was an alternative, or if 2Mbps is enough for gaming + Discord. I live on the Isle of Man and can't find any other solution that's not upwards of £25,000 just for setup fee's. I have also contacted Manx Telecom about an "upgrade package", and they said we live too far away for anything other than standard and cheapest ADSL2+ if you know what that means (I don't).

Any help would be amazing. Thanks.



No comments:

Post a Comment