Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Recommended firmware branch for ArubaOS switches

I first would like to warn anyone here running Aruba switches NOT to upgrade to the 16.08.zzzz branch with its first patch. We had a 2920 acting as a core switch dropping traffic randomly across the whole switch, 2530s with a consistent 25-30% Tx utilization obviously causing issues with dropped VoIP calls, etc.

​

Having said that, I'm wondering what branch of firmware the community here recommends staying on or a rule of thumb you follow. I see from their software download page that they're actively maintaining the last four major revisions (16.05.zzzz to 16.08.zzzz). For instance on the FortiGates we run, I usually wait until the third or fourth patch before moving to a new major revision.

​

Generally, I'm aware that older branches with more patches will be more stable and newer branches are going to have the latest and greatest features deployed to them. I guess I'm more fishing for arguments to use with my co-workers that just run around upgrading firmware because its the newest version with the highest numbers. Bonus points for official documentation from the manufacturer. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment