Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Recommended firmware branch for ArubaOS switches

I first would like to warn anyone here running Aruba switches NOT to upgrade to the 16.08.zzzz branch with its first patch. We had a 2920 acting as a core switch dropping traffic randomly across the whole switch, 2530s with a consistent 25-30% Tx utilization obviously causing issues with dropped VoIP calls, etc.

Having said that, I'm wondering what branch of firmware the community here recommends staying on or a rule of thumb you follow. I see from their software download page that they're actively maintaining the last four major revisions (16.05.zzzz to 16.08.zzzz). For instance on the FortiGates we run, I usually wait until the third or fourth patch before moving to a new major revision.

Generally, I'm aware that older branches with more patches will be more stable and newer branches are going to have the latest and greatest features deployed to them. I guess I'm more fishing for arguments to use with my co-workers that just run around upgrading firmware because its the newest version with the highest numbers. Bonus points for official documentation from the manufacturer. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment