Wednesday, January 16, 2019

[Question] CSMA/CD / CSMA/CA backoff algorithm question.

Hello there,
I'm a high school student studying networking and I'm finding it a little hard to get some (to me understandable) resources about CSMA/CA/CD.
What I can't understand from wikipedia (and other resouces) is how does a host behave based on the backoff algorithm when you have, in the "/CA" case, a timout after an RTS request and, in the "/CD" case, when there is a collision.

From what I understand in the first case the host waits a set amount of time based on the algorithm and then proeceeds to send an RTS (can't figure out how is this time calculated) and in the second case still don't get how is the time calculated and why is the jamming signal needed before waiting said time.

Thanks in advance to everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment