Friday, January 25, 2019

PacketFence, Active Directory, Realms, Usernames, Authentication Sources...pulling my hair out.

I'm playing with PacketFence and Active Directory...and I have some significant knowledge gaps that I'm trying to fill.

​

I'm trying to understand the relationship between PF, AD, FreeRADIUS "Realms", Usernames (to strip or not to strip and why?), domain join vs. authentication sources.

I have so many questions that I can't seem to find concrete answers on in the PacketFence documentation.

  1. What exactly is a "realm" in terms that an AD administrator can understand? Is a realm equivalent to a "domain" or "workgroup?" Why would I use them over the "DEFAULT" and "NULL" domains?
  2. What exactly is accomplished by linking a Realm to an Active Directory Domain (NTLM Configuration)?
  3. What is accomplished by linking a 'AD' internal source to an 'associated realm'? So Authentication sources are linked to realms and realms are linked to domains?
  4. What is accomplished by username stripping? When would I strip and why?


No comments:

Post a Comment