Thursday, January 31, 2019

Packet loss when not using bandwidth limits

This issue came up when I tried to setup my new netgate 1100 and was hoping you smart people might help explain what is happening.

Setup: netgate with normal setup. Desktop is connected to Lan port. no Traffic sharper setup. ISP giving me 100 mbits/s down and up

Exactly every 6 minutes my desktop drops 100% of packets for a few seconds. Viewed via pingplotter and ping to 8.8.8.8 I have searched for an answer on google with no luck.

I finally fixed it by setting a limit on my bandwidth to 80 mbits/s down and up. I am unsure what would cause this kind of issue. ISP bufferbloat? This is not specific to this router, before this one I had an ubiquity edge router X with the same issue. Is there anything I can do without throttling myself?

Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment