Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Linking two Cisco SG300-10 switches

Hello,

Some back ground: This is my first foray into the world of Cisco networking gear and I've got a couple of questions. I purchased two Cisco SG300-10 switches and an SFP each and we have pre-existing fiber running to two buildings that works and I get a link on both sides according to the management console. It's just one pair, however, and we don't have a budget to run a second fiber cable right now nor purchase two more SFPs, so we won't be able to do LACP at the moment. That may change in the future.

First of all, I understand basic network concepts, but this Cisco gear is defeating me and seems much more challenging than other gear I've used. I really want to learn how to do it, though. I have managed to update the firmware to the most recent version and I've got three VLANs created, but I haven't yet successfully configured them the way I'd like (no DHCP based on port, I don't think I've got gateways configured either).

Second, on the two buildings I need to connect. Both buildings need internet access and I'd like to break up devices into separate VLANs so we can separate back office and personal devices. Ideally, I'd like three VLANs present in both buildings. Internet comes into building one and also has a wireless access point. Building two will just have copper connections but may get wireless in the future. On two VLANs, I'd like to have DHCP enabled. I'd like to keep a third VLAN separate to manage the switches, but it does not need DHCP. Figure VLAN 1 for management, VLAN 2 for back office, and VLAN 3 for wireless/personal devices. Would I need a fourth VLAN for network traffic between the two buildings? I think I need to have one switch set in layer 3 mode and set up the VLAN configurations there and the other switch in layer 2 mode, but I'm not sure where to go from there. I figure I need to have the internet connection in building 1 with the layer 3 switch that has all of the VLAN configurations. Where would I find a guide that could help me create this configuration?

I'd like to use the fiber connection to connect both switches. I'd like for devices on each side to see one another if they are on the same VLAN. I'd also like for all devices on the network to have internet no matter which VLAN they are on (except VLAN 1). How can I achieve this with what I have?

I greatly appreciate any help. Thank you!



No comments:

Post a Comment