Saturday, January 26, 2019

Keep layer 2 or move to layer 3? Need an outsider perspective.

Long post, sorry.

I have 3 sites adding a 4th soon for disaster recovery. 2 of the sites have computers, phones, etc. The other 2 site are a data centers. The main site and the satellite site are connected to the data center. Anyway, for now I'd like to worry more about the main site and I can replicate that to the satellite site as it's a lot smaller.

The main site is connected to the data center with two 10 gig dark fiber connections and a 1 gig peer-to-peer. 99% of the things we do are layer 2. The main site has 14 switches in somewhat of a star topology with a "core" switch having routes to the firewall, then out in the data center. Everything at the main site goes through the core switch out to the data center.

So, the only failover on the core switch is manually done by shutting down the 10 gig ports and turning on the 1 gig. I'd like it to be more automated (routed). But my boss would like me to do research on whether layer 3 would actually be beneficial to us. Would just like some options on leaving it or would layer 3 be the next step?



No comments:

Post a Comment