Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Juniper release numbers - 15.1X vs 18.1R etc.

Hi,

I have some trouble understanding Juniper Version numbering. I already read a lot in Juniper’s knowledge base but it’s still not clear to me. It would be nice if someone could give me a quick explanation.

For example looking at newer EX switches the article about JTAC recommend versions lists 15.1X and 18.1R. I don’t quite understand what’s up with the X versions vs R version and why I would pick an X version or R version.

I understand that R versions are simply numbered by year and release within the year so 18.1 is the first release of 2018.

However I am not sure about the X versions. Is 15.1X based on 15.1R? And if so why does it exist in parallel to the R version and where are the differences?

I saw that the 18R versions are supported for way longer than the 15X versions. Does this mean that X versions will be phased out?

Is there a generally advice for a green field deployment on which software version to use?



No comments:

Post a Comment