Wednesday, January 16, 2019

How to test signal degradation?

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but it seems to be the closest to community for what I'm looking for.

For work I am testing the connectivity between 2 computers via ethernet cable. A guy on my team created a small circuit board (just a prototype) which splits the 4 pairs into 2 paths -- one path for 100Mb/s ethernet and the other to NULL. These have 2 RJ45 ports on them so they can be daisy chained together. I know that the max length of cat5 is 100 meters.

Is there a way to tell how good the quality of the signal is after n amount of circuit board? We want to know how many we could theoretically daisy chain together before needing a repeater.

We've played around with iPerf3, and while it seems like a neat little tool, I'm not sure it can accomplish what we're looking for.



No comments:

Post a Comment