Thursday, January 24, 2019

Cisco WLC and AP Upgrades

A little back story first. I started at this company about 6 months ago, they had no network monitoring, no real plan for the network. They had had companies install and setup the network in the past. The IT team comprised of a Manager, and two desktop support techs. Last year they decided to hire two Network/System Admins. I got hired to manage the network and the other Admin is on the VMware side.

OK so here is my issue:

We have 32 AIR-LAP1242AG AP's that need to be replace. They ordered AIR-AP2802's to replace them. But the 2802's need the firmware upgraded on the WLC in order to work, and if we upgrade the firmware on the WLC the 1242's will stop functioning. So my idea to replace the AP's/upgrade the firmware is to spin up another WLC with an evaluation key and connect the 1242's to that WLC. Then upgrade the firmware on the WLC. Then go out and replace the AP's and connect the new ones to our main WLC. I am concerned that the Main and Secondary WLC's will not talk to each other and keep users connections alive between the 1242's the new 2802's. I am looking for feedback on if my idea will work, or if there is a better solution.



No comments:

Post a Comment