Tuesday, January 22, 2019

A year to kill. What to do/learn?

I find myself in a situation/opportunity. My organization is being phased out. Without getting into specifics, we are being outsourced. It will be a year long migration for our customer. There is a nice severance package to stay until the end.

Until then we will basically be keeping the lights on and the ship afloat. All projects have been scrapped. It will be a boring year which gives me a year to focus on professional development and learning some new tricks.

10+ years in networking; LAN/WAN/datacenter. For the geographic area I have a strong skillset to gain re-employment at a competitive salary. I just have a lot of time to kill and figure I have a tremendous opportunity to tinker around and learn something new to boost the resume in the meantime.

High on my list is to learn Python with an emphasis on network automation.

We already paid for VMWare NSX so we figured we’d go ahead and implement that since it’s no cost at this point. Just another learning opportunity and something to add to the resume.

Figured I may go back to the CCNP curriculum. Not too focused on the certs so much as the gained knowledge.

What are some things you guys/gals would do with your time to increase your marketability and skillset with all the time?



No comments:

Post a Comment