Sunday, December 23, 2018

Understanding TCP, UDP and videoconferencing protocols

I am an AV and VTC technician and am trying to get a better handle on networking as it pertains to my role. I was hoping some of you on here could help me with a few questions I’ve found specific answers on elusive. Sorry if this is noob stuff.

1.) I understand the difference between UDP and TCP. I have all of my videoconference endpoints and live-streaming devices and servers set for UDP to minimize packet loss, but would it be better to have the Video on Demand transmitted for TCP since it isn’t real-time. I’d assume yes but I just wanted to see if there was something I was missing.

2.) RTP, RTCP, RTSP, H.323, SIP...could anyone possibly give me the practical application where each of these protocols might be appropriate for VTC and AV in as lay terms as you can?

3.) For having multicast streams accessible to remote users on various branch offices. Would it be considered a best practice to have a designated edge server at each of those locations?

I’m really just trying to get a better foundation so I can communicate confidently with the networking engineers in my organization. Thanks so much for the help.



No comments:

Post a Comment