Friday, December 14, 2018

Split Brain DNS Issue

I have a DNS server (based on LFS) which I can't seem to get to resolve my primary domain as I would like.

We have a lot of test servers on our internal network, which this DNS server handles - like test.coname.com, test2.coname.com, etc. However, we also have some externally accessible servers, handled by a public DNS server, like ext.coname.com, ext2.coname.com. Those are available for internal machines, since we have entries for them in the dnsmasq.conf like so:

server=/ext2.coname.com/# 

The problem is with just the bare domain, coname.com. I have the following in dnsmaq.conf, which I thought should work:

server=/coname.com/8.8.8.8 

So any internal requests for coname.com, or www.coname.com which is not covered by any other entries in the dnsmasq.conf file, should be passed off to 8.8.8.8 . However, this isn't happening. Any ideas would be much appreciated!



No comments:

Post a Comment