Friday, December 14, 2018

Small business network setup

Hello,

Recently I was hired as a production assistant for a small company. Some of my duties involve data ingest and archival.

I've discovered that I basically have full control over the data and networking internally if I want it. No one else in the office has the skillset. My formal education is in Information Technology. Specifically networking. However, I abandoned that route and haven't ever had a true networking job. So I guess advanced noob is my skill level.

Anyways, after a peek into the networking closet I have some questions regarding best practice and proper techniques.

The current setup, to my eye, is not good and even worse is that they paid a 3rd party to set it up thus I don't currently have any access to the equipment. I'm going to meet with the company that set it up and hopefully get them to help me get it set up better or just have them pass off the credentials (if they will do so) so I can do it myself.

The current setup is roughly as follows:

Office

  • 15-25 people

  • ~10 Cisco VoIP phones

Network

  • ISP line in ->

  • ISP provisioned router/modem combo #1 ->

  • DrayTek router ->

  • 48 port PoE Cisco switch (don't currently have model number) ->

  • router/modem combo #2 for Wi-Fi

The previous business was some sort of highly networked environment because there are a couple of patch panels with cable runs to wall outlets and the cisco switch is from the previous business. Currently the cable runs are only being utilized by the VoIP phones. Patched into the switch via the patch panels. The configuration doesn't seem well implemented because the patch cables are patched in to random ports all over the router. I almost feel like the people who installed the equipment for my office just left the previous config and patched into already working ports. I do not see why the VoIP phones shouldn't be on sequential ports.

My goals are:

  • Get the people who want faster, more reliable speeds, on a cable. Especially the design/production team who throw around a lot of data. Eventually I plan to get the production team on a separate 10G network since they are doing 4k video work and such. That's a ways out though.

  • Set up 2 access points for wifi.

  • Get a dedicated modem and possibly get off the Draytek router and move to an EdgeRouter 4. (use it at home and have more experience with it)

  • Configure VoIP on a VLAN, get data on a VLAN.

I've never configured VLANs nor VoIP phones and as such they give me the most concern. I'm not sure how they're currently configured but I get the impression that the 3rd party who installed this is also managing the phones. That's perfectly fine by me I am just interested in getting our internal network in a better state. They complain about the phones being bad when the internet slows down so I do not think they have any QoS set up for the phones and that's also something I've never done but would like to do if it improves the phones for everyone.

Any advice on how to properly set this up is welcome. I don't see any outright issues with my plan but I lack the experience to know for sure. Thanks for reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment