Friday, December 7, 2018

Should I replace my DELL 6248 switches?

I've got four 6248P's stacked together running my SMB network, around 70% of the ports being used. My VP wants to buy new switches because the 6248's are pretty old. I'm looking at some N2048P's to replace them, but I'm not sure if I'm really going to notice any difference between them in practice. I've got quite a few VOIP phones and run iSCSI for my SAN. I don't think the speed of the 6248's has been a bottleneck in the past but maybe there's security advancements or other reasons to get a new switch that I'm not thinking of.

I hope it's not too general to ask if in general workloads do you think it's worth spending 15K on N2048's to replace 6248's that as far as I can tell are doing just fine.



No comments:

Post a Comment