Monday, December 24, 2018

Network Design and Topology Questions (Update)

This is my new topology plan and this is what I would envision the expansion looking like. In the second diagram the yellow connections are the expansion devices connections to existing devices and the red connections are the ones that I think are questionable and I am not sure if they are necessary.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback on my original post and it has given me a lot to think about. I understand that fiber would be a much better option compared to cat6a, but it's not possible for this particular customer, at least not yet. If they were to wire the whole building it would be much easier to justify the cost of adding new conduit and at that point everything would be connected with fiber. However this does mean the distance used for the cat6a will be much shorter and will only be going to two floors.

One big change I made is that I decided to go with the SG550XG-8F8T because it would supply the needed throughout and IO. The EX4300 only has 4X 10GB SFP+ ports and the SG550XG-8F8T has 8 along with 8X 10GB copper ports. For now I only have one planned, but depending on what everything comes out to it may be possible to have two and for them to be wired for HA. After looking at the stacking guide for them I'm not sure if I wired them correctly, rather than having a connection for each switch, would it be better for everything to be plugged into the second core switch and the master just be connected to the backup?

Right now I still plan on going with mostly Juniper switches, but I'm curious on what people think about going with the Cisco SG switches or even another brand such as HP, Dell, etc. If you do have a switch recommendation for other switches compared to Juniper I would love know. Also if anyone has a core switch recommendation for under $3,000 that has at least 8 sfp+ ports and 10GB copper ports or has support for 10GB copper sfp+ optics I would love to hear those as well. Please keep the below pricing in mind when recommending a switch, if it goes over by much it won't be a viable option.

Device Price Notes
FG-80E-BDL-974-60 $3,792.99 FortiGate 80E - Enterprise Bundle - 5 Years
EX3400-24P $1,839.99
EX2300-24P $2,073.99 Includes Virtual Chassis Price
EX2300-24T $751.99

I really appreciate people taking the time to look at this and give me advice.

This is a link to my original post.



No comments:

Post a Comment