Friday, December 28, 2018

Moving customers from /31 to /24 subnet? ISP wan addressing.

Greetings! My first post on Reddit, be kind.

I work for a small ISP who is growing. Today we are manually/statically assigning each customer to a /30 or /31 subnet, which still wastes a gateway address per customer. We wish to look at more modern solutions as we are running out of IPv4 addresses. I know my home ISP and a close-by data center is using /24 subnets for customers.

I believe through research keywords are “private VLAN”, switch vs routed ports. As far as I understand private VLAN will make L3 traffic break between customers unless we implement proxy-ARP, which I haven’t managed to grasp fully. And all documentation I find ignore the fact customers need to be able to communicate on L3.

Can someone tell me what is industry preferred and maybe explain a good solution or refer me to some good documentation? I’d also love to see a hands on use of DHCP Option 82.

We are using Cisco Catalyst 6509e today, but are moving towards ASR920 and Metro in 2019. Customer edge is today a simple HP 2530 switch with an SVI or Ubiquiti GPON (uFiber+ONT).



No comments:

Post a Comment