Sunday, December 23, 2018

Looking to intercept and redirect communications from a WiFi power strip

Pretty much what it says on the tin. I recently purchased a WiFi enabled power strip with individual relays controlling each outlet. Right now I can operate it using the Android app the company provides, and it integrates with Alexa/Google home.

What I'd like to do is capture the traffic moving in and out of the strip so I can create some custom ifttt endpoints and allow myself slightly more control over the device.

Anyone willing to help point me in the right direction? I was thinking about Wireshark to capture traffic, triggering each possible command to try and intercept the API used by the strip, then blocking it from phoning home to China and writing my own interface. Does this sound like the right idea or am I actually making it more complicated than I need to?



No comments:

Post a Comment