Saturday, December 8, 2018

looking for something like bfd, but unidirectional for link monitoring...

Hi all. I'm looking for something like bfd, but only unidirectional. Basically, I have a VPN concentrator in EC2 and I want to use wireguard to tunnel from a remote site to EC2 and that site has a redundant internet connection.

I've tested various methods including pinging the WAN gateway or ISP DNS servers and then changing the default route but everything I've tested is too slow for VoIP and causes substantial gaps in audio.

I can get the performance I want with a multi-tunnel setup, BGP or OSPF, and BFD but this is kind of cumbersome.

What I'd like to do is have something on the server that the client can open a connection to and then receive a stream of numbered packets like bfd does in a configurable increment. When the client side doesn't see x number of packets, switch the route for wireguard's port. Then the client kills the connection and starts over, bringing the route back once it's received x number of packets * multiplier. It just like bfd but I only need the server sending the data stream and it needs to be over the internet instead of on a layer3 link like bfd.

Does such a thing exist?



No comments:

Post a Comment