Thursday, December 6, 2018

Is this equipment too much for this building?

Hi there. I hope this isn't a shitpost. I am not normally a network guy. I have my CCENT but I still am unsure about some things.

I've been contracted out to help this building owner supply internet to his entire building and all the tenants. He has 96 cables ran to the tenants and all come back to a single patch panel. He wants each tenant to be in their own bubble (Hes not a tech guy) so I assumed Vlans. He also wants a single wifi to cover the entire building. (more on that later).

So far this is the equipment I think will work.

Router: Cisco 2901-V/K9

MultiLayer Switch: Cisco SG350-52p-k9

Layer 2 Switch(s): Cisco SGE2010 48p

Access Points: Aironet 1815i x10

Firewall: Cisco 5506-x

My boss has me in way over my head. I feel like I will be okay with the config and getting everything going for the most part. But are these the right devices to be using? Especially the router and the firewall. I do not have much experience there with device selection.

I also had some questions about the Wifi and the "bubbles". He wants a tenant to have their on bubble (Vlan I asssume) to each suite (some suites have 2-4 jacks ran to them). So that if they plug two desktops in they can communicate. And if they have a network printer they can print to it. For the most part i think i got this down with the vlans. But how could someone connect to the wifi and access their respectful vlan. I saw somewhere that a radius server could do this. Would those access points be able to do that? I looked into a third party radius like IronWifi. Would this work?

Lastly. I'm not too familiar with firewalls. Is the 5506-x a good choice. I looked at the cisco meraki but didn't quite understand how they work or how much it costs? Do these firewalls need some kind of license in addition to the hardware themselves?

I am in way over my head. But hey, I gotta learn some day. And at least I will learn from this.

Thank You Guys and Gals Very much! (Please yell at me in the comments if I forgot something)



No comments:

Post a Comment