Friday, December 28, 2018

Is my router a problem?

So I have a 200 mbps internet plan. I only have 2 devices that are hardwired to the router using cat6 cables. A tv, and a gaming console. The modem line is cat6 as well. I was running speed tests the other day and noticed this. Using my iPhone via WiFi I was pulling 230+ down and 1.3+ up. But when I login to my router, using a speed test in the software from speedtest, I was pulling 60 down and 1.5 up. The router in question is a Netgear Nighthawk R7000, has been updated per last available update. My Xbox had even worse numbers, clocking 1.5 down and 1.2 up, using the network diagnostics on the device.

Is my router robbing that much of my speed? From what I could find that’s extremely low on a wired device.

I tried contacting Netgear for troubleshooting some settings to see if this was something I could adjust with my router settings, but was only being sold a “package” to talk to someone about their product.

Something just don’t seem right. And I don’t have a laptop or desktop to do any other testing at the modem.



No comments:

Post a Comment