Friday, December 28, 2018

Internal vs External Network File Transfer Speeds

I have a somewhat theoretical and practical question about file transfers/downloads. If I have 100 megabit download speed from my ISP and I download MS office, it will download at 100 megabits (as long as no one else is using bandwidth at the same time.) Now, if I have a NAS connected on my internal network, in other words, my computer can talk with the NAS through my router without ever touching the internet, and I download MS office again but from the drive this time, I only get 2.5 Megabytes (which is about 20 megabits) download speed. (Both the router and NAS is capable of handling the equivalent 100 megabit speed, but it never does it no matter what computer/device I connected to the NAS and download it to.

Any ideas why that would be? Is it something related to the smb 2.0 protocol that it isn't able to handle file transfer speeds at that rate? Or is it something strictly related to the router that would be limiting the file transfer speeds?

I know you would need more details, but this is all I have since it is a theoretical question.

Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment