Saturday, December 1, 2018

Inconsistent Linux server download speed

Hey all, I've been having this weird issue, where most downloads (TCP transfers to my server from outside) are painfully slow, and some are blazing fast.

The server in question runs CentOS 7 and is connected to a gigabit pipe in a DC.

The issue:

  • I wget a test file from a near datacenter (2ms, 1GB file) on the server. It will start at 1MB/s and slowly climb to average 15MB/s.
  • I do it again and it's a very similar story
  • I do it once again and it starts at 107MB/s and finishes at 100MB/s average.
  • One more and it is slow again.

No such issue with upload speed, I can always saturate the full gigabit connection.

I tried to play with TCP congestion control, but it doesn't seem to have much (or any) impact.

It also doesn't matter from where I'm downloading from, all downloads from all servers exhibit a similar behaviour. It seems to get worse with distance (latency) though. There is no packet loss.

Would be really glad for any pointers, I've been trying to troubleshoot this for few days now.



No comments:

Post a Comment